Thursday, April 21, 2011

Logic Vs. Emotions in Frankenstein

“While I still hung over her in the agony of despair, I happened to look up. The windows of the room had before been darkened, and I felt a kind of panic on seeing the pale yellow light of the moon illuminate the chamber. The shutters had been thrown back, and with a sensation of horror not to be described, I saw at the open window a figure the most hideous and abhorred. A grin was on the face of the monster; he seemed to jeer, as with his fiendish finger he pointed towards the corpse of my wife. I rushed towards the window, and drawing a pistol from my bosom, fired; but he eluded me, leaped from his station, and running with the swiftness of lightning, plunged into the lake.”(242)  The afore quote was from the later part of Frankenstein by Marry Shelley.  It depicted the train of thought of Dr. Frankenstein upon finding his bride murdered.  This shows two instances of illogicality on his part.  Dr. Frankenstein expected the monster to leave his new wife alone, but to come after him.  This was illogical because the monster had attacked three of Frankenstein’s loved ones before, all in an attempt to upset Frankenstein.  Hence, believing this instant would be different was absurd.  The second illogical act was trying to shoot the monster from the window.  Frankenstein’s creature had eluded him before so it was an act of emotion when this feat was attempted.

No comments:

Post a Comment